I have been in the corporate world and I have worked on my own. Two vastly different worlds with differing degrees of submission (some people would call it Being Committed) associated with them.
Currently, I am self-employed also known as sometimes-employed and sometimes-starving. I love it but I would like to return to school and in order to do that I need to be gainfully employed with a steady income. So back into the corporate world I go.
But this time I would like it to be on honest terms except, my terms, they are kind of harsh.
Like, no, I am not willing to forego friends, family and the ability to have a pet instead of plastic plants in order to devote my entire existence to your fiscal success.
No, I don't really want to take work home with me.
No, I don't want the pasty white hue of my skin due to lack of sunlight to be a direct result of my working hours. I prefer that it be derived from my time at my home computer.
No, I do not want to be the United Way Campaign Manager. Ever again.
No, I will not sing the company song, I will not wear your logo to every public event I attend and I will not force my family and friends to either (disclaimer: unless it is plastered on a very cool piece of apparel or I haven't had time to do the laundry...again).
See, I can't tell them this stuff. They'd never hire me.
Therein lies my conundrum. I am my own marketing challenge.
How do I let them know that I will do a good job but not necessarily carry a cross for the organization?
p.s. I have added some bona fide employees and their song. It really does happen.
No comments:
Post a Comment